Monday, July 20, 2009

A Trek, A group of Friends and thoughts about theology

There were two incidents that happened last weekend that made me write the second part of the Uncertainty's child series. I haven't planned the sequels yet but like the shrek movie series, I'll role this one till there is anything left out in me to write about how I feel about religion and god. Sometimes I do wonder why I take up such serious topics and not just write about day to day life or something light hearted but theology is one topic I've thought of seriously and I somehow have the urge to pour my heart out about it. Now, coming back to the topic, I was reminded of god in two instances last weekend.
I was trail walking with my friends last Saturday in coorg and it was a hike to a waterfall. Our onward journey was an event less one except for the discovery of leeches on sriram's legs and the discovery of and pre emptive strikes on a few leeches which tried to get on my leg and Marcelle's legs. We reached the waterfall after dirtying our shoes considerably much to the complaint of Marcelle about how she doesn't like to get wet and stay wet. I was wondering how did she risk a 3 km trek under overcast conditions with just warm tops and a three quarter then. I know that's because I carried my jerkin and umbrella ;-) Anyways as we walked back Marcelle had a doubt and she duly asked me how during a trek do people recognize the correct trail to follow from multiple trails on a trek. She asked me that because I kept on comparing this trek with the trek that I had gone for in Australia and I somehow projected myself as an expert trekker :-) So, when Marcelle asked me how I would recognize the correct trail I told her usually there is only one trail. As soon as I told this, our trail split into two, now how would you explain that? I guess Marcelle would've thought that I was one big fart ;-)
We followed the trail that was lower than the other and ended up lost among thorny bushes. So we decided to walk back and take the other path that went up. To be honest, I wasn't worried for me, as a guy with other guys I would say this was a manageable situation but there were girls with us along with Marcelle and I felt worried about the prospect of being lost and worried about a downpour as well. At that moment, I prayed to god to help us out. We did find help in out Japanese friend who came along and showed us the path and we reached our rooms. As I think of this now, I seriously feel that as a human being I got reminded of God only at the heights of uncertainty. Me lost on a mountain trail with my group would've been something that early human beings would've encountered on a day to day basis, a life filled with uncertainty and no wonder the belief in god and religion developed in them.

2 comments:

Marcelle said...

He truly was God sent. Right? and he felt God like too.

karthik said...

Yeah the Japanese, the way he was dresses in white, with a stick in hand :-)